Monday, January 16, 2006

Come on everybody! Let's go to Djibouti!


One thing that was brought to my attention by Mark this weekend:

There is a country in Africa called Djibouti.

It’s in East Africa, near Ethiopia, and has a population of about 460,000. It’s official languages are French and Arabic, and it suffers from a 50% unemployment rate despite it’s prime location as a shipping port.

And it’s called Djibouti.

Pronounced “juh-BOO-tee.”

As in:
“Hey Bob, I hear you're going on vacation.”
“That’s right.”
“Where you going?”
“Djibouti.”

Or:
“Come on, there’s a party in Djibouti!”

Or... well, you get the idea.

That’s all for now… see you in Djiobouti!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the renaissance fair, the past couple years the stage next to our shop has been The Zucchini Brothers, who have a joke. It involves one Brother talking about going on a USO tour and all the countries he visited on that tour. After a big list of countries ending in "stan," he says they also went to Djibouti.

"you know where Djibouti is? It's right above Dji-legsies"

I didn't say it was a good joke.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

A little off topic...
(though still chuckling at Mike up there)
When you go to Djibouti, do you mind finding some Internet access over there, and giving my site a click? It really bugs me that no one in Africa digs my site.

Also, as always, send me a postcard. I DO have a postcard from Djilegsies, but not Djibouti.

Thanks

tanagrame said...

I'm still reeling from the fact that Mark knew this....

Cheryl said...

There was a song about that.

Sheik Djibouti?

Segue said...

I know you gave a blog-exemption on spelling errors in the above post, but I'd like to point out you misspelled "Djibouti" at the end of this one. Ironic, yes?

By the way, I've been Djibouti is lovely this time of year ;)

alpharat said...

No, I was actually referring to the way they spell it in Djibouti, as opposed to the Ameicanized spelling...


OK, busted.

Segue said...

Well, I left an entire WORD out of my comment.

It should have read:

"By the way, I've been told Djibouti is lovely this time of year ;)"

stray_thoughts said...

Abishag...getting a little catty, aren't we?

Actually, I had to bring it up b/c there was an entire NPR Report about the state of Djibouti.

And Abi? Djibouti is not doing well.