Friday, March 30, 2007

Snappy Copy Gets You Everywhere... Even Into Heaven


church sign
Originally uploaded by alpharat.
Church signs interest me, simply because I've often wondered where they get the ideas for their signs. Some of them are quite thought-provoking, and some are just plain punny.

I'd wondered if there was a newsletter or organization that supplied churches with their marquee ideas. I didn't think that each church had its own copywriter that supplied them with their signs, simply because churches probably couldn't afford a freelancer week after week, and volunteers wouldn't be so consistent either. Plus, if you live in an area with multiple churches, you'll see them start to repeat, and one would hope the churches weren't stealing them from one another, because of that whole commandment thing.

Well, now I know the truth. Apparently there are books on this sort of thing. Here's one. You should pick it up if you own a church. If you don't own a church, there's probably not much use in it, though.

7 comments:

stray_thoughts said...

Dude, it's only $9.34...but there's only 4 left in stock!!!
BRB

Jennifer said...

s_t kills me.

The church at the corner of 22 & Cherrybend, in January I think, has "Snowed under by sin?" on their marquee.

I thought it was a little below the belt :-)

Astroman said...

One of my recent favorites stems from the church that is connected to B's daycare. It read as this, "Jesus is coming, are you?"
I was driving at the time and had no desire to be doing any such thing. Damn them for making me think about it though.

Jennifer said...

Pancake breakfasts are so typical. I vote for crucifried chicken for the next church fundraiser!

Anonymous said...

My favorite one (seen on a coast-to-coast trip) was:

"Sign broken
Message inside"

I always wondered where the local churches come up with these things. Now I know!

beckyboop said...

How about this one:

Those who seek Jesus in the 11th hour, die at 10:30.

Hmmm, there's a book?

Interesting topic.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

I saw one the other day and thought of you.
Something about, "It googles the mind how much God has done for you. Yahoo!"
Or something.
Obviously trying to appeal to a younger audience.