Wednesday, June 04, 2008

On The Road Again, but hopefully not for the last time...

Music of the moment: The Vines



Astroman just forwarded me a great article from Wired, bearing the title Secrets of the 7 Basic Blog Posts. It's quite funny, because in a nutshell, it breaks down what 99.86735% of all blog posts are about.

For example:

1. Be upset!
Terrible things are happening in one of the following: the world, the web or a television show you really like. Make a blog post about it! People will comment about how much they agree with you. Then they'll make their own blog posts about the subject, and other people will comment about how much they agree with them. If we all work together we'll learn that we can make a real impact on our pageviews.


This is the part of the post where I get mad at his attempt at humor, and point out that he is mocking all of blogdom, then give you the link to go read it, thereby increasing our interconnectedness. Seriously though, go read it, it is entertaining.

Tomorrow is the day that I skate off to Cape Cod - actually, we'll be driving, no skating will be involved - and I am more than a little bit stoked, for multiple reasons.

First off, it's always fun to go elsewhere for TFN's gallery shows; her shows in Detroit are a lot of fun, and this latest one was quite successful, especially for Detroit's art market - or lack thereof - but I love going elsewhere to do them.

Also, I can't wait to see Provincetown and Cape Cod. We're taking the bikes with us, and it should be a lot of fun. The area is supposed to be very bike friendly, including many bike trails.

Also, I'm getting away from the Red Wings. Don't get me wrong on that one, I love my Red Wings, but their inability to put an end to this series has made my day job hell. If they'd just win it, I could move forward with normal life.

I'm looking forward to the road trip, too. It's been a few years since we've been on a good old-fashioned road trip. The last time the two of us took a lengthy road trip was when we drove to NC. TFN had just bought me the Vines album, and we listened to it incessantly both on the drive and in our little cabin in the mountains. Totally fell in love with that perfect little rock record. It will be making this trip with us as well, but I bet another CD may emerge as the long player from the trip, too.

I love road trips, it's sad we don't do them more often, and sadder still that the price of gas makes them more prohibitively expensive. If the price of gas kills something horrible, it will be the sense of adventure that causes Americans, young and old, to pile into a car a simply drive for the sake of seeing something new.

Late at night, driving down a lonely highway, the conversations are amazing and soul-baring. And during the day, simply seeing things down stretches of road that you've never been on and likely never will again? This is the stuff that wonder is made of.

Fortunately for now, we have TFN's little XB, which gets good mileage and is roomy enough to have two bikes in the back, so for now, we'll be out there, seeing the world outside our doors.

No comments: