Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Why?


Street near Sacre Coeur
Originally uploaded by alpharat
Why is it that, every time we plan a trip outside the US, something comes up to threaten our ability to get around?

The first time we went to Paris, it was riots in the outlying neighborhoods. There were soldiers everywhere, and burnt out cars on our trip into the city.

In Venice, a transit strike on the morning we were to come back forced us to find an alternate boat to take to the airport.

Now I understand that the Paris transit unions are on strike, with no intention of caving.

It's not even what I would call a great reason, either. The government said workers should work for 40 years in order to collect a pension, rather than the current 37.5. Why is that unreasonable?

Maybe I don't think it's unreasonable because we work longer hours for more years than countries in the EU. Or maybe it's just that I don't want to walk everywhere in Paris.

2 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Where the hell are you?

How'd you get to TC, then Venice in three days?
Is Z with you?
Is she on absynthe?

I'm bitter.

fineartist said...

MMMMMM absynth! I smuggled some home for my son when I went to Paris. He dug it, the thought and the effort, but when he drank it he said it reminded him of Jagermeister and it made him fall asleep.

I don't think he drank enough of it...