Monday, July 17, 2006

I wonder what they think of the Grand Canyon?

Some people have too much time on their hands... And I'm not just referring to myself here...

I'm heading out to Seattle in two weeks, for the wedding of an old college friend. We're taking a few days off to make a vacation out of it, too.

I'm looking up some cool places to take off to for day trips, to do a little hiking in the mountains. This lead me to read about Mt. Rainier National Park on the AOL City Guides, which, in turn, lead me to read user reviews. I like reading them, because you can occasionally get helpful hints about places from them, and sometimes I like to just read bitchy comments by people that I can tell I would immediately hate if I met them.

This comment on Mt. Rainier, is most awesome, though:


Lies , Lies and more lies 08/20/2005

The most wonderful place on earth is not a volcano that is set to go off in the future while ignorant people worship the monstrous thing. The most wonderful place on earth is YERUSHALEIM the place where the blood for the atonement for the sins of the world was shed. Give your life to the LORD YESUS CHRIST WHOM CAME ON THE FLESH AND WHOM GAVE HIS LIFE IN ORDER THAT YOU MAY HAVE LIFE ABUNDANTLY AND WHOM IS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE MAJESTY IN HEAVEN AND WHOM WILL ROLL UP THE HEAVENS LIKE A CURTAIN. IT WILL BE FROM YERUSHALEIM WHERE HE WILL REIGN AFTER HIS RETURN TO EARTH TO DESTROY THE ANTICHRIST SYSTEM AND IT'S FUTURE MONSTER RULER WHOM WILL SET THE MARK OF THE BEAST SO THAT NO ONE CAN BUY OR SELL UNLESS THEY HAVE THE MARK OF THE BEAST OR THE NUMBER OF HIS NAME WHICH IS 666. IT WILL NOT BE FROM MT RAINIER NOR MOSCOW NOR WA DC NOR ROME NOR EUROPE WHERE THE MESSIAH WILL REIGN BUT IT WILL BE FROM YERUSHALEIM- REPENT FROM YOUR SIN AND RENEW YOUR MIND WITH THE WORD OF THE
CREATOR.


OK, WTF? What prompts someone to put a semi-literate religious rant on a tourism site? And who gave these people Internet access in the first place?

Watching this person type this out would have been probably amazing, as they got swept up in a religious fervor and decided that NOW WAS THE TIME TO SLAP THE CAPS LOCK DOWN AND PUNCTUATION BE DAMNED. I wonder if they walk around with the smug satisfaction that they really accomplished something today?

And does anyone have any good recommendations for day trips out of Seattle that don't require that I repent from my sin and renew my mind with the word of the creator?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can score a car, try to get over to the coast via the Olympic Nat'l Park...it is most awesome. Port Angeles is cool as well.

If you find yourself in Bremerton, there is that most righteous little dive that serves the best potato pancakes EVER (wrapped around sausages...SAUSAGES!). I don't remember where. It was after a heavy night....

Jennifer said...

ROSLYN! Eat at Village Pizza and hope the apartment over it is available to crash in, because you MUST walk over to The Brick after dinner and get loaded with the locals. Seriously, it's a requirement. (And Roslyn is on the "sunny" side of the Cascades, so it might not even rain!)

Jennifer said...

PS: RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS SUCK!